Mother Sugar is thrilled to have recently been given two awards in the blog-o-sphere. These are awards given from fellow bloggers, and we couldn’t be happier. We started this blog as a way to connect with each other, and after two months of going live, it’s been exciting to watch our list of followers slowly grow and to have met some super interesting kindred spirits who have taken the time to read and comment on what we’re going on about.
As part of both awards, we are should mention who nominated us. The Fertility Circus has given us the ‘One Lovely Blog award’. Jeannette has become a much appreciated commenter on our pages, and we’ve been following her world with hope. Although it’s a blog about fertility, I’ve really liked getting to learn about Jeannette beyond babyland. She is intelligent, honest, and self effacing. And brave.
Hunting for Bliss gave us the Versatile Blogger award. She is a recent find for us, and what I’ve enjoyed is watching her pursue her writing ambitions and making headway with that. It take bravery and guts to get there, and we admire that immensely.
So what do these awards mean? We are supposed to offer 7 random facts about the Mother Sugar crew. Since we’re a collective, we’ve got one random fact per Editor, and then a few saucy extras!
- La Zuccheria, although she is a haole girl, was given a Hawaiian name that translates as ‘eternal spring.’
- Blackberry Tart is learning Indonesian and lives with a cat named Birthday Party who has an extra digit so when he’s sitting with his front legs folded in front of him, it looks like he’s giving a thumbs up!
- Lemon Tart once carved the meat from a caribou leg and once toured Kathmandu on the back of a motorbike.
- Flapper Pie once let Bitter en Zoet borrow an orange pair of panties that said Tennessee on the front.
- Bitter en Zoet has traveled and worked in Saudi Arabia, but was only allowed in because her visa said she was a man, and because she had a temporary Arab husband for three days.
- Pavlova Mud has worked in London, New York, Australia, and Bangalore, India
- Bella Canto once played Helen of Troy, the face that launched a thousand ships, but they made her wear a half mask, and enormous fake breasts.
The last thing we need to do is share the love and nominate up to 15 blogs we think should get these awards next. Now, we’re a little new to blogland, so 15 was tricky, but we’ve done our best to collect the blogs that have piqued our curiosity. And maybe we reserve the right to add a few more!
But before we do that, we wanted to just say thank you to those of you who read, who subscribe. We have loved the experiment, the conversation, the personalities. We’ve loved meeting new people (like Jeannette and Hunting for Bliss) and hearing their insights and experience. We’ve loved the fact that Mother Sugar has enabled us to get closer to people who are very very far away in a whole new way. We love the writing of Mother Sugar, and the plethora of comments that follow our posts. And we hope going forward, more of you will comment and speak up. Doesn’t have to be an essay, but if what we’ve said resonates, we’d love to know.
And now for the list:
One Lovely Blog Award Winners
Truth and Cake: one of the few blogs that feels like it could be a long lost sister of our own. Great writing.
Hunting for Bliss: right back at you!
Creampuff Revolution: funny and sharp.
A Big Life: her Germany is my Belgium.
A Serene Scribe: good writing over the world’s details.
Defining Wonderland: thoughtful humor.
Suburban Box House: because more people should be reading how a woman’s life and home come together.
Hepburn loves Givenchy: a style blog with great writing.
Versatile Blogger Award
The Middle Ages : 2 friends, different ages, different husbands, different opinions.
Sweet Salty: a new one for me but one that seems worth following!
Vagenda: for anyone who really wants to get into the women’s stuff.
Why I may still be a Canadian: expat reflections.
Pia Jane Bijkerk : it just looks lovely.
Chill Mama Chill: even those of us without little people enjoy this mommy blog.
Oh She Glows: vegan food and snippets of life.
peg o leg ramblings: funny and we like how she attacks all her pictures with a yellow highlighter. And I still have high hopes for her Oprah campaign.
visioned action: she swims with sharks!
Congrats to our picks. Maybe you’ll find some new inspiration by checking out a few links.
Here’s the five-step process to follow after being given this award:
- Share who gave it to you with a link back to their blog.
- Write down seven random facts about yourself.
- Give this award to fifteen other bloggers.
- Let them know they’ve won.
- Pop the award on your blog.